Many social networks of late trend towards aspirational. Meaning that what one’s life appears to be on Pinterest/Instagram tends to be more indicative of the person one would like to be than in reality. I would like to think I am a bit more balanced, but based on the fact that this past year was one of my most challenging (read:absolutelyunbearablyterrible) I would hope what was represented to my social networks was slightly more favorable than reality. Hence, I have decided to pull the highlights of 2012 + early 2013 in the form of a top 10 list. Introducing, 2012 via Instagram.
1. This wasn’t in the past year, but an adult trip to Disney World and the purchase of the pictured Minnie ears was one of the best decisions of my life. Sometimes acting 12 is the only way to survive early adulthood. (Late adulthood?? How old am I??!!? Slightly ambiguous…)
2. Of equal importance= my acquisition of retro paper mustache straws. Plus these sweet picnic cups. Picnics make me feel warm and happy.
3. Oh W Vieques, let me count the ways… I love you, I love you, and I don’t care who knows it! You are so beautiful and mellow and fabulous. 2012 was the year I nearly moved to Puerto Rico. Can’t wait to be back.
4. 2nd Avenue Deli came to to 1st Ave and thus made my life. Nothing better than a sweet tender ball and an overbearing elderly woman aggressively serving multiple courses of gluttony.
5. Yeah this happened. On a beautiful summer day I met an idol, Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, Wife to Jeffery, owner of my dream life. Was glorious.
6. The adoption of a new signature cocktail is always an exciting time. A time of change and progress. A time to be enjoyed with a Hendricks martinis with a twist. So sweet and refreshing, I don’t know if I’ll ever change it up again!
7. I have wanted tea cups, I have searched for tea cups, I have pinned tea cups. I guess it was only natural to purchase tea cups. It counts as a tea party even if you only drink champagne out of them right?
8. Once I saw something on Pinterest and it was a sock bun. It took me a few weeks to digest what this meant. This was my first attempt at creating one and apparently exciting enough for me to Instagram and now blog about. This is totally going viral.
9. Dessert terrariums oh how I love you. Sand, seashells, weird plants, and trinkets. So many wonderful things to adore.
10. This one time when I bought hydrangeas and these cabbage flowers and I accidently dropped a starfish in the center made me feel super crafty. So crafty I needed to immediately photograph it. I am awesome.
So lets just pretend this is all that happened last year. Good year 2012, good year. Watch out 2013…
*** Okay I had to add an 11. My life before nail art is essentially irrelevant.